* Black, 3-segmented, with
an hourglass waist.
* Front wings larger than hind wings.
* Antennae elbowed, with
6-13 segments. The first segment is longer than the others.
* Body length: 1/8-1/2".
* Habitat: Nearly everywhere, near people and wood. Carpenter ants build
nests in wood, in logs, stumps,telephone poles, and buildings.
* Range: Throughout the world.
* Behavior: Carpenter ants live according to a rigid social structure,
with each colony containing a queen, who lays thousands of eggs over
the course of her lifetime, and thousands of workers, who gather food,
care for the young ants, and protect the colony.
* In the Mediterranean, ants are used by surgeons to close incisions;
they are made to bite together an open wound, and then their heads
are severed from their bodies. Their jaws will remain locked until
the incision heals.
* You'll most likely find carpenter ants raiding your house
in early spring, when the flowers that they feed on later in
the summer haven't started to produce nectar.
* "Ants are warm, dry and aphrodisiac and their acid smell wonderfully
enlivens the vital spirits."
-Dr. James, in his Medical Dictionary, 1745