* Male black with scarlet "shoulders" bordered with white or buff.
* Female has brownish-black head, back, and underparts with light streaks.
* Body and Tail Length: "
* Habitat: marshlands
* Range: North America.
* Voice: a sistinctive "konkeree ".
* Behavior: diet largely insects. Builds nest in marshland by weaving
plant materials together to form a basket. Lays 3-5 pale blue eggs streaked
with black or purple. During breeding season male selects a site and
defends it against other males. Female accepts a site and the male with
* The Red-winged Blackbird's "konkeree" call is one of the best known
signs of spring.