* Stout-bodied, brightly colored, with large compound
eyes and chewing mouth parts.
* Two pairs of elongate, membranous, many-veined wings that always remain
outstretched. Patterns of wing venation distinguish
between species and families.
* Body length: 1-3 1/2".
* Habitat: Near water; in swamps, bogs, lakes, and ponds.
* Range: Throughout the world.
* Behavior: Dragonflies are strong fliers; they can fly up to several
miles. During the spring, they can often be seen flying in tandem, in
mating position. The male flies above the female, grasping the back of
her head with his legs.
* Dragonflies can see in color. In fact, their prominent compound eyes
have inspired an optical toy called "The Dragonfly," which is a multiprism
dioptric lens that will produce 24 images of any object viewed. It
is produced by Van Cort Institutes in Northampton, Massachusetts.