* Fur pale to rich reddish brown, belly and feet white.
* Tail short and thin, bicolored, with brown above and white below, 2
* Head and body length: 3 3/5-4 1/5".
* Habitat: Prefers wooded or brushy areas, open grassy spaces. Nests
in old bird and squirrel nests, buildings, stumps, and logs.
* Range: Eastern southern, and central United States.
* Behavior: Nocturnal and active all year, except in the coldest days
of winter. Breeds throughout the year in the south, from February to
November in the north. Eats hemlock and other
seeds, nuts, mushrooms, and insects, storing seeds and nuts. The white-footed
mouse exhibits territorial behavior and does not often live in large
* White-footed mice usually only invade human homes in the fall, when
looking for warm winter quarters. They provide major prey for owls,
especially screech owls and barred owls.
* "Mountains will heave in childbirth, and a silly little mouse
will be born."
-Horace, 65-8 B.C.E.
Approved by NR