* Body short and compressed.
* Back dark greenish gold, mottled with reddish orange.
* Sides greenish yellow, mottled with orange and turquoise. Belly yellow-orange.
* Head small, with the mouth extending to the eye, cheeks with wavy bluish
* Pectoral fin long and pointed.
* Body length: To 10".
* Habitat: Cool, quiet, shallow water; slow streams, ponds, marshes,
* Range: Southeastern Canada and much of eastern United States.
* Widely introduced.
* Pumkinseeds will hook on to a variety of bait. The largest recorded
specimen caught in Lake Waban weighed one pound.