Lawn Mower's Mushroom
* Cap brownish, conical to convex, often with a knob in the center,
dark brown fading to tan, smooth, moist, 3/8-1 1/4".
* Gills dark to violet-brown,
attached, broad, spore print dark
* Stalk pallid, smooth.
* Height: 1 5/8-3 1/4".
* Season: May - July and September.
* Habitat: Grass, scattered or in groups.
* Range: Throughout North America.
* The lawn mower's mushroom is edible, but all mushrooms should be carefully
examined before eating.
* A good way to identify mushrooms is by looking at the color
of the spores. To make a spore print, cut the mushroom cap off
of the stalk and place it on a piece of black or white paper.
Cover it, and in a day or so remove the cover and the cap. You
will have a beautifully detailed print of the mushroom's gills.
Colors of spores include black, white, red, brown, yellow, purple,