* Leaves dark green, with 5-15 pair of slightly rounded teeth, whitish
woolly beneath, on flattened stalks, 2-6".
* Twigs hairless or silky gray.
* Bark smooth, yellow-green.
* Fruits elongated catkins.
* Height: 30-40'.
* Habitat: Dry soils and burned areas.
* Range: Southeastern Canada, northeastern and north-central United States.
* "The very close-grained, soft, light wood is, uniquely in the tribe
of Poplars, occasionally beautiful... When finished in 'natural' or in
slightly brownish tones, paneling of feather-crotch Aspen wood is sought
out by department stores as the perfect background for displaying fine
-Donald Culross Peattie, in "A Natural History of Trees, 1950