* Leaves compound, with 5-7 whorled leaflets.
* Leaflets narrow, hairy, toothed.
* Flowers pale yellow, with 5 notched petals in a flat terminal cluster,
* Berries round, dark purple when ripe.
* Height: 1-2'.
* Flowers June - August.
* Habitat: Roadsides, meadows.
* Range: Throughout eastern United States.
* Introduced from Europe.
* Cinquefoil was popular with witches and spell-brewers in the Middle
Ages; it was frequently an ingredient in concoctions that promised
love and large fish catches.
* "The toad will be much under Sage, the frog in Cinquefoil."
-Sir Frances Bacon, years??
* "You are surprised and delighted to see this handsome profusion
in hollows so dry and usually so baren and bushes commonly so
fruitless. The berries are peculiar in that the red are nearly
as pleasnt-tasted as the more fully ripe dark-purple ones."
-Henry David Thoreau, 1817-1862