* Flowers with 6 petals, in groups of 2-8 at the top of the stem.
* Leaves shiny, with parallel veins. 2-4 at base of plant.
* Fruit a blue berry; each plant produces one to five fruits.
* Height: Up to 1'.
* Flowers May in lowland, June - August at higher elevations.
* Habitat: Moist woodlands, open slopes, alpine meadows.
* Range: Canada, northern United States.
* Massachusetts residents have called Clintonia the Dragoness Plant and
* Clintonia was named after De Witt Clinton, who was mayor of
New York City in 1803, and the Presidential candidate for the
Peace Party in 1812. He lost to James Madison, but was later
responsible for the construction of the Erie Canal and several
books on natural history.
* The top photo at right shows Clintonia's fruit, and the bottom
photo shows an unopened flower.