* Blossom faces upward, and unlike other lilies, it is not spotted.
* Leaf long, sword-like.
* Stem leafless.
* Height: 1-4'.
* Flowers all summer, but each blossom is only open for one day.
* Habitat: Fields and roadsides.
* Range: Northeastern United States.
* Introduced from Asia.
* Hemerocallis means 'beautiful for a day' in Latin. How appropriate!
* Daylilies stem from Asia, where they are actually a food crop.
The buds are harvested and eaten, the flowers are used in soups
as flavoring, the leaves provide a salad ingredient, and the
small white tubers in the roots are eaten in a similar way as
* Europeans saw daylilies as ornamental plants, and since they
are disease-free and perennial, they make an excellent garden