* Flowers with 5 petals, bluntly diamond-shaped with long bristly bracts,
* Leaves needlelike.
* Very slender, stiff stem.
* Height: 8-20".
* Flowers May - July.
* Habitat: Dry fields, roadsides.
* Range: Quebec and Ontario south.
* Introduced from Europe.
* In Latin, Dianthus armeria means "God's flower."
* "There is a little wilde creeping Pinke, which groweth in
our pastures neere about London, and in other places, but especially
in the great field next to Deptford, by the path side as you
go from Redriffe to Greenwich."
-John Gerard, 1633