* Fronds small, pale green,
thinly textured, with a narrow triangular shape that tapers rapidly toward
the tip. Frond blade tilts backward; the lowest pair drops down and out.
* Spores are located in the lower frond pairs.
* Height: 8-20".
* Habitat: Cliffs, ravines, wet ground near forests and running water.
* Range: Northeastern United States.
* Beech Fern is also called Narrow Beech Fern and Northern Beech Fern.
* Beech Fern is sterile, meaning its spores are not viable.
The roots of its Latin name mean 'female fern.' thelus -
female, pteris - fern.