* On the fronds, the fertile,
dark green segments are located between the normal, pale green, barren
segments. This arrangement, where the fertile segments "interrupt" the
barren segments, gives the fern its name.
* Young fronds covered with woolly, pinkish hairs.
* Spores green.
* Height: 12-60".
* Habitat: Acid, rich soils with plenty of moisture.
* Range: Throughout North America; India.
* "I come from haunts of coot and hern,
I make a sudden sally
And sparkle out among the fern,
To bicker down a valley."
-Alfred, Lord Tennyson, 1809-1892