Sensitive Fern,Bead Fern
* A coarse, weedy fern that often forms spreading colonies.
* Fronds broad, nearly triangular,
tilting up and back, with a prominent, network-forming vein.
* Fiddlehead pale red.
* Height: 12-24".
* Habitat: Damp, wet areas, common in roadside ditches throughout the
* Range: Throughout the United States.
* In cold climates, the fronds may be deciduous after frost. Sensitive
fern dies quickly with the first frost, leaving the erect spikes with
their beadlike reproductive structures.
* Sensitive ferns are good colonizers, often the first species
to grow in a disturbed area.