* Flower heads dense, oblong, purplish to greenish white.
* Leaves narrow, in whorls of
4, forming crosses.
* Height: 4-12".
* Flowers July - October.
* Habitat: Sandy soils, bogs, marsh edges and pinelands.
* Range: Maine to the southern United States, west to Minnesota and Ohio.
* "Polygala cruciata, cross-leaved polygala, in the meadow behind Trillium
Woods and the railroad. This is rare and new to me. It has a very sweet,
but as it were intermittent, fragrance, as of a checkerberry and mayflower
-Henry David Thoreau, 1851