* Flowers on short, stiff side branches.
* Flowers in irregular, rounded clusters.
* Rough texture.
* Height: 1 1/2-5'.
* Blossoms May-September.
* Habitat: Roadsides, fields, waste places.
* Range: Throughout the United States.
* Introduced from Europe, also native to South Africa.
* Orchard grass was imported from Europe in the eighteenth
century to be used as horse fodder.
* "Orchard grass of all others is in my opinion the best mixture
with clover; it blooms precisely at the same time, rises quick
again after cutting, stands thick, yields well, and both cattle
and horses are fond of it in green or in hay."
-George Washington, 1732-1799