* Flowers white, with 5 petals, 1/2" across.
* Leaves opposite, narrow,
about 1/4" long.
* Plant low and tufted, often forming mats.
* Height: To 6".
* Flowers June - August.
* Habitat: Ledges, bare mountain summits at medium elevations, and in
the alpine zone in Greenland.
* Range: Northeastern United States and Canada.
* Mountain sandwort is one of the few alpine plants that remains in bloom
throughout the summer. It is a delicate and beautiful sight, welcome
to hikers as they reach the summit of northern mountains. Like most
alpine vegetation, it is very fragile, and can be damaged by the exuberant
stomp of a hiker's boot. Watch out for this little flower!