* Leaves hairy, pointed, with 3 coarse-toothed leaflets on a slender,
* Flowers white, with 5 round petals.
* Fruits red, conical, with seeds on the surface.
* Height: 3-6".
* Flowers May - August.
* Fruits soon after flowering.
* Habitat: Rocky woods.
* Range: Canada and the northeastern United States.
* Introduced from Europe.
* "This berry is the wonder of all the fruits growing naturaly (sic)
in those parts: It is of it self excellent: so that one of the chiefest
doctors of England was wont to say, that God could have made, but God
never did make, a better berry...the Indians buise them in a mortar,
and mix them with meal and make Strawberry bread."
-Roger Williams, governor of the Rhode Island colony, 1643