* Inflorescence narrow, cylindrical,
* Flower single, pale green turning to tan.
* Height: 1-3 1/2'.
* Flowers in early summer.
* Habitat: Meadows, roadsides.
* Range: Throughout the United States.
* Presumably introduced from Europe.
* Timothy was first found in America in 1711 by one Jonathan Herd in
New Hampshire, but the species was also known to exist in England.
* Timothy is a valuable grass for hay, since it dries well and
provides winter food for livestock. It gets its name from the
first farmer to promote it for hay, Timothy Hanson.
* From 1870 to 1910, timothy was a valuable cash crop, since
hay was need to feed horses that propelled carriages and farm