* Flowers clover-like, clustered, bicolored pink and white.
* Leaves compound, with 8-12
pairs of opposite, narrow oval-shaped leaflets.
* Stems creeping.
* Height: 8-12".
* Flowers June - August.
* Habitat: Roadsides, meadows.
* Range: Eastern United States.
* Introduced from Europe.
* "The seed of Axwoort openeth the stoppings of the liver, the obstruction
of the spleen, and of all the inward parts."
-John Gerard, 1633
* The name Axseed comes from the seed pods of the plant; they
are shaped like axeheads.