Northern White Violet
* Flower has 5 white petals; the lower ones are veined.
* Leaves bluntly heart-shaped or nearly round.
* Seed capsule green.
* Leaves and flowers on separate stalks.
* Height: 1-5".
* Flowers April - July.
* Habitat: Wet woods and clearings.
* Range: Across Canada and northern United States.
* The leaves and flowers of violets are edible, delicious, and healthy.
They contain three times as much Vitamin C as an equal portion of oranges,
plus significant amounts of Vitamin A.
* The flowers can be made into jelly, or placed in salads and
on top of cakes for a beautiful garnish.
* Believe it or not, violets are very politically symbolic...the
violet is the state flower of New Jersey, Illinois, Rhode Island,