* A climbing vine.
* Leaves fan-compound, with
5 leaflets, rarely 3-7 leaflets.
* Leaflets dull, toothed, arranged like spokes on the stem.
* Tendrils long, disk-tipped, with several branches.
* Twigs hairless, buds scaly.
* Flowers small, greenish, clustered.
* Fruits blue berries.
* Height: Can climb several stories.
* Flowers June - August.
* Fruits August to February.
* Habitat: Woods, thickets, and walls.
* Range: Eastern half of the United States.
* Berries of the Virginia Creeper are a favorite of birds, mice, skunks,
and chipmunks. The twigs are eaten by white-tailed
* In autumn, Virginia Creeper is one of the first plants to
change color. Look for it covering the walls of buildings all